Wednesday 10 March 2010

The Ermine City

Normally we are the Granite City, for obvious reason if you've ever been here or seen photos.  But this winter, I've thought of us largely as the Ermine City.  I got this from a poem I remember having to learn in elementary school--second grade, it seems to me.  I cannot for the life of me remember the poem or who it was by, but I remember that even though I didn't understand most of it, I thought it was beautiful.  One of the lines was something about fenceposts (or some other thing) dressed in ermine.  That's always stuck with me. 

And because I haven't gotten around to it yet, here are the last of my snowy winter photos.  There was one Friday when it just started coming down, rather unexpectedly.  I had to be heading into town to meet a friend to go see a film anyway, so I just went a little early to take advantage of the city centre in snow.  I had only been to uni and the Bridge of Don the other times it snowed.  I'm so glad I did! 
This is the window in our stairwell, and that white glow always makes me happy.  I can tell both how much snow there is and how bright the sun is by judging from this. 
It was a mess out.  Traffic on King and Union Streets were pretty much at a stand-still.  Made me very glad to be walking, even on the less-than-perfect pavements. 
The Arts Centre
The top of Marischal College
Queen Street Church
Castlegate
The clocks on top of the Town House
Where it's always winter, but never Christmas....
All in St. Nicholas Kirkyard. 

The snow started melting again pretty quickly, and big globs of it were dropping off the trees and soaking me.  But it was so gorgeous, and I was so lucky to get the chance to take these! 

We had such great snow this winter.  I don't even mind the cold when there is no wind and rain.  It was gorgeous, and I am thankful for it.  Really.  I'm not just saying that because it seems to be past now.  I really honestly did like it.  And I hope every winter is so gloriously snowy. 

1 comment:

Barb said...

Oh my! I love the snowy Aberdeen pics! Beautiful!