Saturday 23 February 2008

Nothing Really to Say...

...but as my sister points out, it's been a week since I posted. It's just been a long and tiring week, and I haven't had any energy to come up with a post. Nothing much has happened to write about, or at least that I want to write about. So instead, I'll give you a few reasons why I love TV here.

First, even though we have to pay a TV tax (about 150 pounds a year), we have far less adverts. Less breaks, and shorter breaks. It's hard to come back to the States and watch tv now, especially since I'm used to recording things and fast-forwarding through the adverts as it is.

Second, in large part, the adverts we do have are of better quality. The best ones often start out in the cinema and then wind up on tv, which is always fun. We don't have to worry with home-made adverts for the used car dealer down the road, or the ambulance-chasing lawyers... it's great! We have Super Bowl quality adverts more often than once a year. Here are a few examples:



I don't really see the point, but I do love it! This version was aired during the Rugby World Cup last fall.

And another:



This is Scotland's soft drink (and one Coke is always trying to acquire as it's the only thing that outsells them), and a great take on a British classic Christmas special. All of the landmarks they fly over are Scottish-- how many can you name?



This one is for my brother-in-law, ha! =) Lynx and Axe are basically the same thing, but our adverts here aren't nearly as chauvinistic and offensive to me as the ones in the States.

So, there you go. A little bit of fun for you this evening. I'll try to write a real post before the weekend is over. I promise.

7 comments:

Jennie B said...

I love that lynx commercial, and now I can take my slicker off as well in public. :) I think the gorilla is cute, more of a rally for the players than the company it seems to me. I'm glad you posted this week. I would hate for you to fall back on your resolution!

Amie V said...

I guess I should have been more specific with the gorilla... it was just a regular old commercial. This version was made special during the World Cup, a one-off deal. The rest of the time, the drum is just blank, and they showed it a lot just regular. Don't get it, but I love it, ha!

Barb said...

I loved the Iron Bru commercial! Especially when I saw the Glenfinnan Viaduct and Eilean Donan Castle. We've been there!

Jennifer said...

I love commercials. 90% of the time they are better written than the shows, LOL.

I love the gorilla one though. I don't get it either, but I love it. When I saw the ear peice I thought maybe it was a commercial for IPOD or somthing like that.
~Jennifer

Masimba Tyrranus said...

LOL! Well, what can I say. Thanks to you I have a brand new appreciation for Cadbury's chocolate. I love that commercial? I don't think it's supposed to make sense to anyone but I know that's just me feeling uncomfortable about my own readings into the commercial. You're right, of course. Even from these few and other samples you have provided in the past, I can see how terrible --- ---'s Nissan/Ford/Buick/GMC/Kia commercials are over here. Thanks for exposing our sucky our lives stateside are.

It's like I've said though, I am happy to be far enough from the blank-screen "SALE, SALE, SALE" adverts back in Zim that I will take whatever the states offers me.

For the record, I do want to say that the gingerbread haka commercial was my favourite one from the world cup. Also, even though you already know this, Irn-Bru rocks!

Amie V said...

I had not seen the 'gingerbread haka'... that was AWESOME! I know lots of people are opposed to the haka and don't like it at all, but I'm not one. I love it. And I love watching the responses of the other team... like France in the World Cup, just all up in their faces right back, lol! I should move to New Zealand.... ;)

Amie V said...

Barb, I put the Irn Bru one on here for you particularly... since you've seen just about every place on it, and you know the drink (did you ever taste it?). I'm glad you liked it. =)