Saturday 16 January 2010

File Under: Things You Never Thought Would Happen

Aberdeen finally opened Union Square Mall!  Which was originally supposed to be Millennium Mall, opened nearly a decade ago.  Better late than never, right?

It really is a great mall.  I love it!  They have a cinema (the second of my beloved Cineworld) with ten screens.  They have loads of restaurants.  They have three coffee shops.  They have clothes and accessories and gifts and all kinds of stuff!  It actually feels like a mall back home... which I say is good.  It means I can go to see a few films in a day, and have places to go in between to drink or shop or study, without having to go outside in the rain and wind and cold!  Hurrah!

They had a big opening weekend party, and I went down on that very first Thursday night.  I took some photos, and some video-- they had a stage set up for local groups to perfom, and lucky me, the Red Hot Chili Pipers were there!  It was too cool, really.  So the next time you need to do some shopping, come to Aberdeen!  The train station is on one side, and the bus station on the other... you don't even have to go outdoors!  Pretty awesome.

The view along the harbour: 

Looking up Guild Street towards the train station:


The new bus station:

The mall entrance is just around the building to the left;  the new train station facade is straight ahead:

The entrance along Guild Street:

The main mall entrance:



Costa to the right, in the midst of the big open entryway, shops all 'round...




The crowds enjoying the show in the main courtyard area.  I love how they left the train station facade up.  It looks nice.  And finally, some video of the evening's entertainment.  I love these guys!





3 comments:

jdawg said...

LOVE a new mall! especially in the winter.

Amie V said...

i know, right? it's so nice to have a good one here... finally. =)

Lysana said...

Very cool! Sounds like lots of fun. And I wondered if "Pipers" was a typo at first, then I saw - nope! Not a typo! LOL!