Sunday 21 February 2010

Pancake Day

Mardi Gras?  What's that?  Around these parts, it's Pancake Day.  Why?  Well, I asked Wikipedia, and she told me this:

"Pancakes and doughnuts are associated with the day preceding Lent because they were a way to use up rich foodstuffs such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before the fasting season of the 40 days of Lent. The liturgical fasting emphasized eating plainer food and refraining from food that would give pleasure: In many cultures, this means no meat, dairy, or eggs."


I invited Aleithia and RitaBekah over for a pancake supper.  I have some Krusteaz mix, and we made three kinds:  banana (with raspberry jam on top), chocolate chip (with powdered sugar), and plain (with golden syrup).  They were so yummy.  I hadn't made them for a while, but I'm not sure why when I enjoy them so much.  And it was fun, hanging out and chatting with the girlies who were in town.  I missed Liz and Paige, but oh well.  That's life, isn't it?  And, of course, silly me-- I forgot to take a single picture.  Again, that's life.

No comments: