Friday 7 March 2008

Going Bananas!

Or more accurately, my bananas are going... off, that is. This always happens to me, and then I have to find good recipes to use them up. Not that I mind so much, actually. I easily eat a banana a day (I don't know if this does much for keeping the doctor away, or if apples just have a better agent, ha) and have found some nice recipes to put them in... as well as some fun little videos. I love fun little videos, in case you hadn't noticed. =)



So first off, we have the best banana bread recipe I've made so far. I keep trying new ones from different books and such, but this one is my fave-- very dark and moist, with a good flavour. It's from *The Fanny Farmer Cookbook*:

BANANA BREAD

3 ripe bananas, well mashed
2 eggs, well beaten
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a loaf pan. Mix the bananas and eggs together in a large bowl. Stir in the flour, sugar, salt and soda. Ad the walnuts and blend. Put the batter in the pan and bake for 1 hour. Remove from the pan to a rack. Serve still warm or cooled, as you like it.



Ahhh, a classic! It still makes me laugh. I need to get that film.... =) Next up of the recipes is what I have baking right now: banana and raisin bake, from Hamlyns of Scotland Porridge Oats. (The recipe came right off the back of the bag, yay!) It sounds good for you, right? I mean, oats and banana and raisin, what could be unhealthy about that? Well, read on! ;)

BANANA RAISIN BAKE

250g (10oz) Porridge Oats (you can use Quaker just the same)
150g (6oz) margarine
100g (4oz) soft brown sugar
75ml (3T) golden syrup (basically, pancake syrup)
2 soft bananas, mashed
2.5ml (1/2t) cinnamon
50g (2oz) raisins

Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Melt margarine. Add sugar and syrup. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Pour over the dry ingredients. Add banana, and mix thoroughly. Turn mixture into a well-greased Swiss Roll tin (I don't have one, so I just use a cake pan and it seems to work fine). Bake for 20-25 minutes; cool and cut into squares.



Gotta love Sesame Street... and I have to work the Muppets in somewhere; it's always a good time for the Muppets! Kids love the Muppets, and kids love cookies... which leads me to my final recipe of this post-- banana spice cookies! These are from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, and were a BIG HIT at my book club in January.

BANANA SPICE COOKIES

1/2 cup margarine or butter
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 t baking powder
1 t vanilla
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t baking soda
1/8 t ground cloves
3 bananas, mashed
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Beat margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add about half of the flour, the sugar, eggs, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon, soda and cloves. Beat till thoroughly combined. Beat in remaining flour. Beat in bananas. Stir in nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoons 2" apart onto a greased cookie sheet (yes, the batter is supposed to be thin). Bake in a 375F oven for 8-10 minutes or till edges are lightly browned. Cool cookies on a rack. Frost with Butter Frosting (below). Makes 60.

Butter Frosting (I made half the recipe, and it was pretty close to enough)

1/3 cup butter or margarine
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 t vanilla
milk

In a bowl beat butter till fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in the 1/4 cup milk and vanilla. Slowly beat in the remaining sugar. Beat in additional milk, if needed, to make of spreading consistency. Tint with food colouring, if desired. Frosts tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch cake layers.

Well, that's all I've got for now. I'll leave you with the munchies after all this talk of good food, and with one of my favourite childhood Nickelodeon memories... after Danger Mouse, of course. This is the first episode, and it's only five minutes. Proof that bananas are as good for you as spinach... enjoy! ;)

5 comments:

Jennie B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amie V said...

The link didn't come through all the way... so I don't know what you think I should have added. =)

Jennie B said...

LOL, lets try this again. You need to add this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=beh6_yYmkjU&feature=related

I miss bananaman. i wish bananas would buff me up like they do for Eric.

I will have to try those recipes one day.

Jennie B said...

I want a banana milkshake from Sonic. But the closest Sonic is 3 hours away. :(

Amie V said...

Ahhhh, Sonic. There are days I would do anything (well, within reason, that is) for a Sonic Lemon-Berry Slush, or one of their milkshakes, or some onion rings.... My closest Sonic is a several-hour plane ride away. Bah!

The banana milkshakes are really good. I like them with another fruit, too-- like strawberry banana or pineapple banana... yummy!