Tuesday 11 March 2008

In Like a Lion...

I remember learning this little saying about the month of March as a kid-- and this March it is proving it is true!

Our winter here has been, thankfully and surprisingly, pretty mild. It's been chilly, but nowhere near as cold as consistently as I have come to expect. And we have had very little of another little joy I associate with winter here-- wind! It has been said that the wind in Aberdeen is a lazy one: it can't be bothered to go around you, so it goes straight through you. Boy oh boy is that the truth! Sometimes, it's so strong that I can't move forward against it... I just lean into it, and then topple over when it dies suddenly. =) There have been disturbing stories, as well, about the wind blowing people into traffic when it gusts up and I have been on the receiving end of those gusts, so I believe it! I try to stay as far from the street as I can, just in case.

The winter, as I said, has been pretty mild, but so far March has been wild! It's been colder and windier than the rest of the winter all together. And yesterday was the worst. It was horrible! And we got off easy here; down south in England and Wales they were hammered with gale force winds, lashing rain AND flooding. I just had cold, rain and wind... but that was more than enough, thank you very much. I wish I could share with you just what it's like, being out in that... but I can't. I guess you'll just have to imagine, ha. I have a few of Barb's pictures from when we spent one very windy day out around Torry Battery last June, and I think there are some pictures that might do it justice. =)




Yes, I'm wearing a hat in June-- it was so cold that day, but nothing near what it was yesterday. And the sky wasn't this blue at all. It was all grey and rain slanting in sideways and miserable. But I don't have a picture handy to show that... and these pictures only give you a very dim glimpse as to what the wind was like. Imagine this, but worse. Seriously.

I can only hope that the second half of the phrase is as true as the first... so I'll keep you posted. ;)

3 comments:

Jennie B said...

Ah Loverly Weather! Gotta love the bone chilling winds...makes you want to go curl up with a mulled wine and eat cake while reading a scary story by firelight!

Just be glad you don't loose power and have to hide in your closet with 4 cats and a parakeet because your roof might blow off! EEK!

Neat pics. That Barb has talent. :)

Barb said...

All I can say is, BRRRR!!! You're right, the one consistent thing weatherwise that I remember about Aberdeen is the crazy wind (and the harr, but that's another story). That day on Torry Battery, I was so thankful the wind was blowing in from the coast instead of the opposite, or we probably would have gone swimming! Stay warm, friend. Hopefully your Easter weather will be like last year's.

Masimba Tyrranus said...

Man-oh-man. This little (African)piggy would be blown all over the place with the weather you are describing. I am just glad that I am not having to deal with that weather...yet. Hope you are bundling up and trying your best not to be lost to the breeze. That would be a shame, you know.